Two Killed in South Ossetia Bombardment
Published: July 4, 2008
MOSCOW, July 4 (Reuters) – Two people were killed and six wounded in Georgia’s breakaway republic of South Ossetia in heavy exchanges of fire that Tbilisi and the separatists blamed on one another, media reports and officials said.
Quoting the rebel region’s officials, Russia’s Vesti-24 channel said Georgia had started bombarding the separatist capital Tskhinvali with mortar shells at about midnight on Thursday. “Then intensive gunfire followed,” it reported.
Mamuka Kurashvili, commander of a Georgia’s peacekeeping battalion in the conflict zone, told Reuters the Georgian side had been forced to return fire after the separatists launched heavy bombardment on several local Georgian villages. He said he had no information about any fatalities on the Georgian side. (Reporting by Margarita Antidze and Dmitry Solovyov; Writing by Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Giles Elgood)